• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
 on: April 19, 2018, 09:00:16 AM 
Started by DailyMike - Last post by DailyMike
I've bought an R10 Mk2, Mamba Lite scope and a Barbour jumper from members on another forum this week, so it's time I said a proper hello as a very recent rifle owner.

I used to shoot back in the 1960's using my Dad's .177 rifle and, fairly regularly with the ATC, both .22 and .303 cals.

65yrs young in a few weeks and with some time on my hands, I'm now keen to again take up shooting. Apart from worsening eyesight, I face a few physical challenges these days, but won't let that stop me in my quest!

If there's anyone local who'd like to get in touch and perhaps meet over a coffee...please don't hesitate to get in touch!

on: April 10, 2018, 03:38:24 PM 
Started by Cockypants - Last post by 1066
Hello Craig .... welcome to the BSASOG!   :welcome:

on: April 10, 2018, 09:16:51 AM 
Started by Cockypants - Last post by Cockypants
Hey Up!   :sign0144:
I'm Craig.  I live in Stockport and have taken to airgun shooting a little later in life at 56yo.  I have enticed my son to join me in this wonderful hobby.  We have been visiting a few ranges and clubs in the Manchester area.  I have a Lightning XT (Birmingham built) and I am about to take possession of a Goldstar SE.  I had a brief dalliance with a Gamo Maxxim Elite (my initial purchase)  Unfortunately I found it very disappointing and traded it in at a loss for the Lightning Xt, which has made me much happier.
I usually become very brand loyal and like to get to know the details and workings of anything I own to the enth degree.

I enjoy reading peoples views on all things.  Hope to join in on conversations.

All the best folks  Craig

on: April 05, 2018, 07:51:09 AM 
Started by APW - Last post by 1066
Hello Tony .... welcome to the BSAOG!    :welcome:

on: April 04, 2018, 11:11:32 PM 
Started by APW - Last post by APW
Hello to all, I have been shooting for many years now starting in my early teens plinking with a BSA Scorpion pistol to nowadays hunting with rimmies, centrefires and shotguns. I bought a BSA Ultra SE 177 recently to help me improve my field craft which was pretty poor and due mainly to the regular use of powder burners for the last 12 years. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting back into air rifles and won't be making the same mistake again, there will be a space in my cabinet for one from now on.
I had also forgotten how much fun plinking in the back garden was!

Thanks
Tony

on: April 01, 2018, 03:12:58 PM 
Started by Anotherflyer - Last post by 1066
Hello .... welcome to the BSAOG!     :welcome:

on: March 31, 2018, 06:28:33 PM 
Started by Anotherflyer - Last post by phatphunker
Hi mate what you got and don't say "a bsa"🤡

on: March 29, 2018, 12:52:16 PM 
Started by shy talk - Last post by Bluetoe
I recall an article in one of the air gun magazines, probably late 90's / early 00's which featured an interview with Steve Harper who designed the Harper Wolf electronic trigger rifle and pistol. The interviewer asked if a semi auto version was possible. Harpers reply was yes and that he had already built a prototype, however during discussions with his local firearms licensing department he was told that while a semi auto air gun was not legally prohibited they strongly advised him not to produce one commercially so the idea was dropped.

on: March 29, 2018, 11:35:35 AM 
Started by shy talk - Last post by rkr
As far as best pup design goes I do prefer Vulcan over Wildcat as you can switch the side of the front sidelever. There are also Priest and Colibri with front pullback style cocking which might actually be better than a front sidelever (I have not tried one of those). My experience with front cocking sidelever is that for a right handed shooter cocking on the left side is better. As you say a compact semi auto pup would be the best of all, I believe Calibrgun Capybara might be the answer once it comes out.

on: March 29, 2018, 11:11:50 AM 
Started by shy talk - Last post by RANCiDTOM
Wire coat hangers won't do for trigger linkage, they flex way too much. A hardened 4mm rod is IMO minimum requirement there and even then it would be good to have some support in the middle (yes, I've built some pups). That is actually the reason why purpose built bullpups have a pull type trigger linkage which of course necessitates a redesigned sear release. Now if BSA recognized that and made a new pull type trigger system for the pup, it could actually be rather good. If it's just a push type system incorporated to the gamo trigger unit, then it is likely to be rather poor.
It is a bit of sarcasm to use the term "coat hanger wire" but as we've seen on many cheap bullpups it's been used along with many "garden shed" engineered bullpups. I suspect Gamo/BSA have worked under the "must be cheap to produce" directive rather than the "best possible solution regardless of expense and complexity" approach. While I'm not saying that a good trigger cannot be achieved with push rods it gets more difficult to build with either large diameter rods (or tubes) with proper rose joint ball ends and possibly even pivoting/sliding bearing guides to limit flex in the middle of long push rods.
As you correctly say a pull rod is a far better approach due to the elimination of flexing (so long as the cranks and pivot points don't flex) under tension. A pull rod system could be quite easily fitted with the use of a bell crank to convert pull to push at the actual trigger sear, it all comes down to how much room there is available in the stock around the sear block.
Daystate avoided these problems by using their electronic trigger on their bullpup, however the cocking mechanism isn't in the most ergonomic place, it's up by your ear.
So far in my opinion the only well thought out and reasonably well engineered bullpup is the FX Wildcat. I've stripped and rebuilt them and although not as simple as a "normal" FX rifle the trigger link is a pull rod and the cocking lever is just above the pistol grip meaning it is easy and quick to operate without taking your trigger hand too far away from the grip while cocking.
How have BSA linked their trigger and exactly what trigger block mechanism have they used? I don't know just yet as I haven't seen one with the stock off, until I get one in for service or modification I'll not comment on it other than to make a reserved judgement that it appears to be the Gamo trigger block but that is only my assumption having seen pics of the complete gun. Knowing the Gamo trigger to be absolutely awful I don't hold much hope at all.
As everyone has probably assumed I don't see any attraction personally for a bullpup unless we could have a semi-auto but our UK laws make this rather difficult if not impossible so I doubt that any manufacturer would set up to make in the UK or bother to try importing (if they are overseas). We may get a brave manufacturer or importer who wants to test the interpretation of our firearms laws but it could end up being a rather expensive mistake for them so I doubt anyone will try. I can see there is a valid need for a small light pointable self loading sub12 for ratting in barns but will a manufacturer actually want to take the risk of a design that ends up falling foul of UK legislation?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10