• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
 on: August 22, 2017, 09:04:33 PM 
Started by MikeH - Last post by RANCiDTOM
They fit new nickel plated probes if the gun is sent back under warranty with a flaking probe. Of course they must be aware of the fault and of what they could do about it but I dare say they have a stockpile of nickel plated probes, a contract in place with a supplier that they can't get out of or perhaps they just don't give a damn? It's sad because it wouldn't cost them a lot if any more to make them in stainless than to make the steel ones and then have them nickel plated.
I don't know 'cos I don't work for them. I just like to improve BSA's.

on: August 22, 2017, 08:42:01 PM 
Started by MikeH - Last post by burnleybob
As an aside, is the factory aware and do BSA acknowledge there is an "issue" with the probes?

Cheers

Bob

on: August 22, 2017, 08:16:06 PM 
Started by bsadevon - Last post by burnleybob
A beautiful .22 airsporter, which I duly ruined by painting the woodwork in DPM camo.  :03:

ATB

Bob

on: August 22, 2017, 07:15:05 PM 
Thanks Tom,

Might end up doing this mod before I start having issues. Always liked the idea of PM.

Cheers

Bob

on: August 21, 2017, 10:44:53 PM 
Started by MikeH - Last post by RANCiDTOM
The standard BSA probes on R10, Scorpion SE and Ultra SE are now nickel plated.
The nickel plating flakes off, the flakes of nickel wear the pellet probe bearing and can also get into the hammer mechanism causing wear and muzzle velocity variations.
The flakes of nickel also cut and wear the pellet probe and magazine O rings giving loss of power and larger spread of M.V.'s.
Flakes of nickel can end up in the magazine or stuck to the pellets and hence wear the bore and rifling of your barrel.
My stainless probes don't ever flake as they are solid stainless steel, no plating of any description.

on: August 21, 2017, 08:03:14 PM 
Forgive my ignorance, but could someone with the `knowledge` explain what benefits there are fitting one of these?

Cheers,

"ignorant" Bob  :sign0009:

on: August 21, 2017, 10:16:39 AM 
Started by RANCiDTOM - Last post by RANCiDTOM
It's just a matter of time before the nickel plating starts to wear and flake.

on: August 19, 2017, 07:42:48 PM 
Started by RANCiDTOM - Last post by Tervueren
Thanks for that Tom, best I have a detailed look at mine to check, would you advise to change it anyway just in case

on: August 19, 2017, 09:43:31 AM 
Started by RANCiDTOM - Last post by RANCiDTOM
The nickel plating on the standard probe flakes off causing nickel flakes to grind into the probe bearing, hammer bearing and cause undue wear. Pellet probe seal, magazine O ring and even the barrel suffer as flakes of nickel are hard enough to wear steel. Stainless doesn't flake, it doesn't rust and should last forever (with reasonable care).

on: August 19, 2017, 03:59:14 AM 
Started by RANCiDTOM - Last post by Tervueren
Hi, I have an Ultra SE, is there a problem lurking with the original probe that I'm obviously unaware of or is the stainless just smoother to operate.
Thanks
John

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10