BSA Owners Group

• December 15, 2017, 04:12:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I purchased a BSA blued choked 24'' .22 barrel blank from John Knibbs  (Read 1317 times)

mubhaur

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: Karachi
  • Postcode: 54600

I want to know about how is the quality of recent production of BSA .22 barrel at fac levels?

When I push a pellet through the blank, there is tight spot in the mid.  Then the choke area is a bit tight but the last end of the muzzle is a bit loose.

This blank is stamped BSA etc. on it.

I still have to machine and install it on FX Royale 400 and I want to run it at 950 fps with JSB 18 grains.

I would like to know your input on current production of BSA  .22 choked barrels at fac level.

Regards,

Umair Bhaur

ultra stu

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
  • Postal Town: bristol
  • Postcode: bs48
  • live and let live kill and let kill
Re: I purchased a BSA blued choked 24'' .22 barrel blank from John Knibbs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:37:23 PM »

How long is the barrel ?
Also i dont suppose you know. but just because you may have just bought it doesnt mean its just been made .it could have been manufactured years ago ?
I have a .22 12 inch barrel that does very well with jsb rs at 880 fps
The hand of fate is moving and the finger points to YOU .

mubhaur

• BSAOG Recruit
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 06:41:48 AM »

My BSA barrel blank is 24" long. Its blues and stamped BSA on it. 

I am surprised to see that there are tight spots inside the barrel when I push pellet through the blank.

Any idea?

ultra stu

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
  • Postal Town: bristol
  • Postcode: bs48
  • live and let live kill and let kill
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 07:52:53 AM »

As long as the tightest spot is the last one at the choke it wont matter too much .
Also the barrel if new will need a good clean first .as there is usually oil etc  protecting it from rusting internally .
Give it a god pull through and try again .

mubhaur

• BSAOG Recruit
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »

Finally the BSA barrel has been installed.  It is giving great accuracy

NigelB1965

• BSAOG Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Doncaster
  • Postcode: dn8 5hn
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 10:43:05 AM »

Mubhaur.
Is the BSA barrel more accurate that the Smooth Twist of the Royal ?
I have to ask, because there are so many people who think Smooth Twist is the best barrel making process ever, and thus the most accurate.
I have not used a Smooth Twist barrelled gun so cannot comment.
Is the BSA barrel better than your Smooth Twist ?
Do you have to clean it more regular ?
your opinions please matey.

Kind regards
Nigel.
S10 IS HAPPY DAYS.
Scorpion T10 .177 rat works tuned & regged
Airsporter S Mk1 .22 -Airsporter Mk2 .22 -Merlin .177 & others to many to list.
just cant get enough of BSA's

rkr

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
  • Postal Town: Finland
  • Postcode: 33950
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »

Mubhaur.
I have to ask, because there are so many people who think Smooth Twist is the best barrel making process ever, and thus the most accurate.

Kind regards
Nigel.

If smooth twist was so good, then why did FX return to fully rifled barrels in their latest model? ST can be very accurate but they lead up real quick. In our 100M BR I've always outshot ST barrels with my BSA barrel.
Huub Viking Mk2 Bullpup.177/.22 - grab'n go gun
BSA Scorpion .25 - 100M BR at 60 fpe
BSA Horpion .224 - 100M BR at 100 fpe
Evanix Blizzard .357 Bullpup - 220 fpe silhouette shooter
Evanix Sniper X2 .45 - 270 fpe silhouette smacker

NigelB1965

• BSAOG Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Doncaster
  • Postcode: dn8 5hn
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 09:50:02 AM »

RKR.

I thought their was cost implications with ST barrels.
Being a lot more expensive than cold hammer forged.

But am I happy I am a BSA man.

I once Saw on youtube a man from lother walther say button rifling produced better barrels, really his comment was aimed towards producing barrels of the same quality every time, i.e. they had a lower rejection rate.

My bro has a BSA Sports man bolt action, and it outshoots his Anchutz bolt action and is on parr with the Match Anchutz 3p 22LR for accuracy.

my bro's only complain is the trigger in comparision - and that's to the 3p match rifle. lol.

long live BSA.

Nigel.

rkr

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 12:37:33 PM »

RKR.

I thought their was cost implications with ST barrels.
Being a lot more expensive than cold hammer forged.

But am I happy I am a BSA man.

I once Saw on youtube a man from lother walther say button rifling produced better barrels, really his comment was aimed towards producing barrels of the same quality every time, i.e. they had a lower rejection rate.

My bro has a BSA Sports man bolt action, and it outshoots his Anchutz bolt action and is on parr with the Match Anchutz 3p 22LR for accuracy.

my bro's only complain is the trigger in comparision - and that's to the 3p match rifle. lol.

long live BSA.

Nigel.

ST barrel is much cheaper to manufacture than a button rifled or hammer forged barrel. You just take a length of hydraulic tubing and press the ST part at the muzzle from the outside. That's in principle of course, the actual technology used is hush hush. Some STs work really well but there are many with poor quality ST part that leads up real quick, one .25 owner had to clean the barrel every 20 shots or so and eventually swapped in LW barrel. The new FW barrels seem to use the same hydraulic tube but the rifling is pressed from outside to the whole length of the barrel.

My .25 BSA Scorpion outshoots my Anshutz 54 by a small margin at 50M, I blame the rimfire ammo - not barrel quality.

mubhaur

• BSAOG Recruit
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 10:32:33 AM »

Mubhaur.

Kind regards
Nigel.

Dear Sir,

As far as accuracy is concerned both ST and BSA are neck and neck.  But I feel that BSA is a bit more accurate.  The best part is that BSA accepts very high FPS while ST start opening the groups at high FPS.

ST works well only with JSB while BSA is happy with many make of pellets.  Even the light weight 14.3 grain Crosman works great in BSA.

For extreme accuracy one has to keep the barrel clean.  Some ST get lead up very quickly but some dont.   BSA takes reasonable number of pellets to get fouled.  And even after getting fouled BSA still shoots pretty accurately.

I have become a BSA barrel fan.

Regards,

Umair Bhaur

K38

• BSAOG Rifleman
  • Postal Town: OSLO
  • Postcode: 0474
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »

If smooth twist was so good, then why did FX return to fully rifled barrels in their latest model? ST can be very accurate but they lead up real quick. In our 100M BR I've always outshot ST barrels with my BSA barrel.

Frederik Axelson   FX.. to most of us. I am sure you would agree rkr he is not a person to accept anything that is second rate..

He ownes the rights to the Smooth Twist design and has just upgraded to new machinery to produce ..
Any twist rate in any calibre...

There is very little data on the relationship between twist rate , velocity and calibre etc..

The simplicity of making a Smooth Twist barrel could be the next interesting fase of air gun design and precision..

Start saving rkr. The future looks interesting..

rkr

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 06:44:45 PM »

Frederik Axelson   FX.. to most of us. I am sure you would agree rkr he is not a person to accept anything that is second rate..

He ownes the rights to the Smooth Twist design and has just upgraded to new machinery to produce ..
Any twist rate in any calibre...

There is very little data on the relationship between twist rate , velocity and calibre etc..

The simplicity of making a Smooth Twist barrel could be the next interesting fase of air gun design and precision..

Start saving rkr. The future looks interesting..

There's lots of data about bullets and optimum twist rates, I could use a .45 barrel with 30" to 35" twist myself. With pellets twist rate is much less critical as the ammo is drag stabilizing as shown by the ST concept and around 100" real life twist rates. It would be rather interesting if FX made a .25 barrel that was optimized for boat tail bullets as designed by Bob Sterne, it would be a great alternative for TJ liners as those seem to be unobtainable in Europe.

Looking at FX's recent drop in quality I would have to disagree about Frederiks strive for perfection, things have been going downhill there for quite some time now. Recent designs are also IMO over complicated thus creating additional issues and weak spots.

K38

• BSAOG Rifleman
  • Postal Town: OSLO
  • Postcode: 0474
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 09:23:53 PM »

Can you point me in the direction of twist rates in .177,,,.22,,,&.25 cal in relation to power and pellet weight..
  That's an area that I am getting interested in..
  Do you think it's pellet,projectile design that is now holding back improvements..Seems like there are problems with some of the traditional pellet production from reports on the forum..
  I haven't got round to seriously looking at purchasing an FX yet so it's interesting to note what you say .. Every time I start looking he comes out with yet another design..
 Have to agree with you regarding complicated designs ..It's a fine line between a worthwhile improvement and a reliability nightmare..
 More research needed before I go for one..

theobean

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: Stafford
  • Postcode: ST17 0PJ
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 02:43:32 AM »

Good news that your barrel performs.

Did you polish the tight spot out that was somewhere in the middle or just leave it?

The reason I ask is because I have a theoben with a tight spot in the middle. Not as tight as the choke, but it does restrict a bit.

I'm having a few accuracy issues & I'm wondering what to do.

Thanks.

mubhaur

• BSAOG Recruit
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 11:17:46 AM »

Yes I did polish a bit but not much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up