BSA Owners Group

  • July 17, 2019, 10:43:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  


Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: !!! THE LAW & VCR !!!  (Read 2996 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • BSAOG Administrator
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13079
  • Postal Town: Leeds
  • Postcode: LS9
!!! THE LAW & VCR !!!
« on: June 04, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »

The Law

The law makes no distinction between air rifles and more powerful guns for which you need a licence – they are all classed as firearms. This means that any offence you commit can carry a very heavy penalty – and there are at least 38 different offences. Following this code will help you to keep on the right side of the law, but, if you have any doubt, seek advice from BASC or your local police firearms licensing department.

Who can shoot

18 years
If you are 18 years or older there are no restrictions on buying an air rifle and ammunition, and you can use it where you have permission to shoot.


14 – 17 years
You can

•borrow an air rifle and ammunition
•use an air rifle, without supervision, on private premises where you have permission
You cannot

•buy or hire an air rifle, or ammunition, or receive one as a gift. Your air rifle and ammunition must be bought and looked after by someone over 18 – normally your parent, guardian or some other responsible adult.
•have an air rifle in a public place unless you are supervised by somebody aged 21 or over, and you have a reasonable excuse to do so (for example, while on the way to a shooting ground).


Under 14 years
You can

•use an air rifle under supervision on private premises with permission from the occupier - normally the owner or tenant. The person who supervises you must be at least 21 years old.
You cannot

•buy, hire or receive an air rifle or its ammunition as a gift, or shoot, without adult supervision.
Parents or guardians who buy an air rifle for use by someone under 14 must exercise control over it at all times, even in the home or garden.


It is illegal to sell an air rifle or ammunition to a person under 18 years of age.



The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 has a range of measures specifically on air weapons and component parts of air weapons.


Section 28 (3)(a) covers the component part aspect for an air weapon and a silencer would come into this category.

Sections 31 and 32 states that all transactions should be made through a registered firearms dealer on a face to face basis.

If a silencer is held purely for a low powered air weapon then it does not have to be held on a firearm certificate. However, if the silencer could be used on say another weapon which is held on a certificate then we would expect the silencer to be recorded on the certificate as well as that would take precedent.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation.

Firearms Team
Public Order Unit
020 7035 1783
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:41:46 PM by boomer »

Firm but fair

Pages: [1]   Go Up