BSA Owners Group

• December 19, 2018, 11:01:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new to air rifles  (Read 765 times)

ls001

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: preston
  • Postcode: pr5
new to air rifles
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »

/hiiiii/
any body from Lancashire that can give me info on how to get permissions, or is it just a case of knocking on farmers doors
or is there some sort of register /thasnxxxx/

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
  • Postal Town: Runcorn, via Africa and parts unknown.
  • Postcode: WA7
Re: new to air rifles
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:01:34 PM »

Hi .... welcome to the BSAOG!  /hiiiii/
Les

garyg

• BSAOG Honoured Member
  • Postal Town: Nottingham
  • Postcode: NG3
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:43:45 AM »

Welcome to the forum. Do a search on here as there has been quite a lot written on the subject including printouts of forms to get filled when you do obtain permission.
BSA Scorpion Tench-10 .177 BSA 6-24x44 SWF. R10 shortened shroud. Weihrauch moderator. Rowan trigger and cocking bolt.
Fast Fire 10 .22 BSA 4-16x40 Contender IR. Theoben moderator.
BSA Meteor Mk2 .22
Gunpower Stealth .25 Hawke Panorama 3-9x40 IR EV.

ACFguy

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Kendal
  • Postcode: LA8
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 03:26:25 AM »

Look  and ask around to find a rough shoot in the area.

These small syndicates sometimes welcome a bit of help, especially if they are busy with their day jobs.
Sometimes they have pheasant pens that have rat problems, that's how I got started many years ago, from there I got my FAC and acquired deer stalking rights along the way.

If you do go knocking on farmers doors be prepared for a brusque response, especially near the city. Go as far afield as you can manage, don't turn up in cammo gear , cover tattoos and piercings if you have them, and definitely don't expect a positive answer quickly. Avoid lambing time, or if you see a lot of work going on. (I've been at a farm when someone called to ask for shooting permission, he had the full monty as above and was immediately asked to leave!!)

Be prepared to listen more than you talk, and if you offer free pest control do your homework on species and methods etc. A business or contact card can help, I know someone who got a huge estate to shoot on by dropping in his card to the office then followed it up with a phone call a fortnight later.

You could get lucky quickly, but prepare for the long haul, with a bit of work and patience you should get permission to shoot eventually. Also, join BASC as an airgun member, you will then be able to prove you have insurance, which is always a plus point.
It goes without saying that you should always be polite and respectful, after all you are the stranger and the landowner / tenant knows nothing about you.

Good luck.

countrydays

• BSAOG Snr Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Okehampton
  • Postcode: EX20
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »

Welcome Is001,
                       Hope that you enjoy the forum and good luck with your search.
BSA Scorpion S/S .177 +Tench regulator & guage +adjustable comb & butt pad +BSA Essencial 6-24/50 +BSA VC moderator;
BSA Scorpion SE .22 +BSA Contender 4-16/40 RGB IR +Weihrauch moderator;
Pages: [1]   Go Up