BSA Owners Group

• August 17, 2019, 10:53:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a risk of Napier Pull Through damaging rifling in BSA Barrel  (Read 1216 times)

CJMorrison

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Polmont
  • Postcode: FK2

Quote from Daystate Website (Excuse the profanity:)

"A pull through or cleaning rod can also be used, but great care must be taken, with the fine 12-land rifling used in airgun barrels, as once worn or damaged, nothing short of a new barrel will restore accuracy."

I was looking into cleaning, I have used a napier pull through before but found the above on the Daystate website, is there a risk of damaging rifling inside BSA barrels?

Would foam wad pellets be a better option?

NigelB1965

• BSAOG Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Doncaster
  • Postcode: dn8 5hn
Re: Is there a risk of Napier Pull Through damaging rifling in BSA Barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »

I personally would only use a pull through, Napier is a well known and recommended brand for barrel cleaning.
I must point out the, the pull through are coated in plastic, with a hoop on the end, and the patches are lint free cloth,  the steel barrels will not be effected by either.
How ever a steel brush on a rod could possibly cause damage.
The felt pellets on a PCP have to go over through the mag (multi shot) where bits could be pulled on and spoil the mag or action, then they have to go into the barrel over the transfer port all pcps, again bits could be pull off and go into the action, both I would suggest is rare but possible.
Direct feed into breach i.e. spitfire / firebird would be ok.  Springers, i'd put a pellet in first, the push the felt back up to the pellet, ensuring it did not stick out.
I hope this helps, another other comments lads ?
S10 IS HAPPY DAYS.
Scorpion T10 .177 rat works tuned & regged
Airsporter S Mk1 .22 -Airsporter Mk2 .22 -Merlin .177 & others to many to list.
just cant get enough of BSA's

RANCiDTOM

• Registered Firearms Dealer
  • BSAOG Technical Officer
  • Postal Town: MANCHESTER (not Swindon)
  • Postcode: SN2
  • Not scared to speak the truth!
    • www.airgunclinic.co.uk
Re: Is there a risk of Napier Pull Through damaging rifling in BSA Barrel
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 02:35:10 PM »

I have seen people advocating the use of bicycle brake cable or Bowden cable pull through, this is rather dangerous as Bowden cable is steel and will scratch rifling. Even if the cable is plastic coated it may wear throught the plastic coating in parts and give your barrel grief, also any crimped fitting to make a loop may be steel and again will damage a barrel. Any cable with a steel inner could be a problem so steer clear of it. You can use a loop of 20Lb or stronger fishing line as a pull through that won't damage rifling but always be aware that with any pull through be it string or fishing line pull it straight from the muzzle in line with the barrel axis not sideways across the crown as bits of grit can get caught in or stuck to the pull through making it wear the edge or crown. Keep your pull through clean, if you take it to the range with you keep it in a clean tin not a pocket full of fluff and grit!
Felt pellets are OK so long as you don't get bits caught in breech seals or mag O rings. I would never suggest feeding a felt pellet through a mag, use tweezers or similar to start it in the breech then carefully feed the pellet probe in making sure no bits of fibre get caught. Always remove silencers, air strippers or muzzle brakes in case bits of felt get caught in the baffles.
First pellet should have a drop of oil or WD40 on it to stick loose lead dust to the felt, then shoot dry pellets through until they come out clean.
As a cheaper alternative to felt pellets hand rolling cigarette filters work well, slim for .22 and ultra-slim for .177, they have a paper outer which is fine for cleaning the rifling. It keeps the fibrous inner together while loading but still use tweezers don't put them through a mag.
Cleaning rods can be steel if plastic coated and they have a brass ferrule at the threaded end, phosphor bronze brushes are OK but only pull from breech to muzzle don't push them from muzzle to breech so it's only possible with a barrel out of the action with PCP's as the breech isn't big enough to screw a brush or jag on after threading the cleaning rod from the muzzle. Cleaning rods are fine when you have a free barrel to clean or have taken the bolt out but that's not possible with BSA's so cleaning properly with a rod can only be done to a dismantled gun. Be very careful with S10 barrels as they have the breech seal in the barrel not on the probe and a cleaning brush could damage the seal. All other BSA barrels are not a problem as the breech seal sits on the probe.
My postcode isn't SN2 it's M21!
GMP Registered Firearms Dealer
Gunsmith for AirGunClinic
http://www.airgunclinic.co.uk  back up and running...

CJMorrison

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Polmont
  • Postcode: FK2
Is there a risk of Napier Pull Through damaging rifling in BSA Barrel
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 03:23:36 PM »

Thank you, I assumed this would be in regard to certain pull through methods and rods, I have always used a napier pull through kit.  Never tried the wads for cleaning, although I have seen them used.

It is amazing how a general warning on a website can send the fear if god into you :)

ATB

Clark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up