BSA Owners Group

• December 13, 2018, 03:20:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New BSA Defiant  (Read 1020 times)

StevieG123

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: Coventry
  • Postcode: CV3
New BSA Defiant
« on: February 12, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »

Hi All,

Just checked on facebook and it looks like BSA are launching a new gun "The Defiant" at the British Shooting Show this weekend.
Anyone have any idea?

Steve

Schumacher

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: Ivano-Frankivsk
  • Postcode: 76007
Re: New BSA Defiant
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 06:55:18 PM »

Hi All,

Just checked on facebook and it looks like BSA are launching a new gun "The Defiant" at the British Shooting Show this weekend.
Anyone have any idea?

Steve

i think it's Bullpup

RANCiDTOM

• Registered Firearms Dealer
  • BSAOG Technical Officer
  • Postal Town: MANCHESTER (not Swindon)
  • Postcode: SN2
  • Not scared to speak the truth!
    • www.airgunclinic.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 03:24:22 PM »

Indeed it is a dullpup, I'm frankly underwhelmed. Looks like it has a Goldstar regulator fitted, I can't see much more from the facebook pics, at least it's not got "behind the ear" cocking.
My postcode isn't SN2 it's M21!
GMP Registered Firearms Dealer
Gunsmith for AirGunClinic
http://www.airgunclinic.co.uk  back up and running...

rkr

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
  • Postal Town: Finland
  • Postcode: 33950
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=94&v=BiiqHOrcdgY

I'd say there's a standard breech under that polymer thingie. A pushrod to operate the probe goes inside the polymer cheekpiece. If they left the barrel free floating and managed to make a good trigger, then that should be a rather good bullpup. It would actually be interesting to see how much they copied from Huub's and my bullpup designs.
Huub Viking Mk2 Bullpup.177/.22 - grab'n go gun
BSA Scorpion .25 - 100M BR at 60 fpe
BSA Horpion .224 - 100M BR at 100 fpe
Evanix Blizzard .357 Bullpup - 220 fpe silhouette shooter
Evanix Sniper X2 .45 - 270 fpe silhouette smacker

echo1974

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
  • Postal Town: watford
  • Postcode: wd23
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »

Its not my cup of tea, although im not really into bullpup's - and if i was i think that i would choose the fx wildcat over the defiant tbh.

rkr

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 07:41:38 AM »

Further goggling of that video revealed that the pup is built around BSA/Gamo (Buccaneer/Coyote) action  :sign0135:

StevieG123

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: Coventry
  • Postcode: CV3
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 09:55:20 AM »

From my experience the only differences betweek the Scorpion & Buccaneer platforms are the Scorpion has: better trigger, smoother cocking & the breech looks nicer. From the video he said that the trigger and cocking were great and you cannot see the breech under the cheek piece. I'm looking forward to handling one!

RANCiDTOM

• www.airgunclinic.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:40:21 AM »

Further goggling of that video revealed that the pup is built around BSA/Gamo (Buccaneer/Coyote) action  :sign0135:
With a Gamo plastic trigger.
Oh dear me.

rkr

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »

From my experience the only differences betweek the Scorpion & Buccaneer platforms are the Scorpion has: better trigger, smoother cocking & the breech looks nicer. From the video he said that the trigger and cocking were great and you cannot see the breech under the cheek piece. I'm looking forward to handling one!

This is the BSA/Gamo, magazine stop plate and that screw on the side of the firing valve block tell the tale:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:32:03 PM by rkr »

rkr

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 01:37:38 PM »

With a Gamo plastic trigger.
Oh dear me.

Tom, have you been inside any of those Ultra XLs? Do they also use the Gamo GRT/GTX (or whatever it was) trigger unit?

RANCiDTOM

• www.airgunclinic.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 05:28:43 PM »

Yes, sadly it is indeed the horrible plastic Gamo "GRT" type trigger as found on the Ultra XL's and similar (just no anti-beartrap link) to the Lightning XL/GRT.
It will obviously have some sort of linkage I would hazard a guess that it will be a simple bent piano wire type connection, to the trigger blade, so add the extra flex from the link wires and play in the pivot points to the already indistinct operation of the GRT trigger unit. Rgearding this GRT trigger unit, how anyone can say that it is "great" beats me, it's not even average. It may be better than some awful Chinese guns but to me they are absolutely awful. OK they're cheap to make, and Gamo are knocking them out by the thousands for their various PCP's and springer but that only makes them good to the accounts department in Barcelona.
Also they use the latest Gamo sourced fill valve and pressure gauge assembly. I am finding myself repairing these far too often and it's a matter of their plastic moulded valve insert failing to seal. It's nto an O ring that can be replaced for pennies, it's a new plastic moulding every time. Again Gamo are knocking them out by the thousands and it is quite obvious that they are cheaper than a brass plunger with an O ring seal. Victory for the bean counters, more profit for the owners and poor reliability for the customer.
As regards the regulator, it's the same as is fitted to the Goldstar, however when this regulator fails you can replace the O ring seals but not the actual regulator valve seat. BSA/Gamo are not making this part available seperately so it will be down to third parties to make replacement parts, or to fit an alternative regulator if you don't want to pay the £145 plus P&P for the replacement from BSA/Gamo (the price listed by J.Knibbs for a Goldstar SE regulator unit).
Now this is purely my opinion and a tale of my experiences regards the components which are obviously fitted to these guns. Draw your own conclusions but I reserve the right to have my opinion. Looks like I'll never be on BSA's xmas card list!

rkr

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 09:55:36 AM »

Thanks Tom, that was good information. I do have one gamo springer with CDT trigger blade and it is still not good IMO. As far as the linkage goes you can use an almost straight 4mm bar in non SE BSAs (as found in Huub Vikings), that does not bend as the forces needed are quite small in smallbore guns. Not as good as a trigger without the linkage but quite acceptable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up