BSA Owners Group

• December 13, 2018, 03:22:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Decide!  (Read 464 times)

GnarlyDingo

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: Braintree
  • Postcode: cm7
Can't Decide!
« on: February 22, 2018, 07:20:54 PM »

Good Evening all!  :sign0085: :sign0085: :sign0085:

After endless hours of research and youtubing i went into my local gun shop to get a feel for the few rifles on my short list.
I came out the shop no better off than when i went in.

I was pretty sold on the BSA Goldstar SE especially in that gorgeous black pepper laminate but after the lad behind the counter was more interested in showing me the BSA R10 SE i was then even more unsure!

I wont say which shop it is, but they have been known for not being very honest..

Im a bit of a youtube freak and like to see how the rifle performs which usually helps me make up my mind, but with the lack of Goldstar reviews its made it very difficult for me.

I understand the older R10's had a lot of issues which i gather are mostly all ironed out now?

95% of my shooting is targets, and im looking into getting into HFT. I do still have a love for hunting but find myself at the range more.

I have around £1000 to spend and wanted to know how the Goldstar se and R10 se compared in performance.

Even though i have been a loyal BSA customer for 20 years i am happy to try daystate or any others within the price range.

And before i start an CAL argument, does anyone recommend 177 over .22 as i have only ever had .22, i understand the trajectory etc but i have also heard that the heavier .22 pellet will continue its power down range where as the lighter 177 will lose its energy quicker. not sure how that makes sense to me though as i thought 177 was better for long range? also does the lighter 177 get effected more by the wind than the .22?

my understanding below
Lighter pellet - easier for the wind to push???
Larger pellet - more surface area for the wind to get hold of???

Please guys! help me make up my mind!
  :sign0009:  :sign0144:

manor2025

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: aylesbury
  • Postcode: hp21
Re: Can't Decide!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »

Hi there.  Based on my experience, firstly if you are thinking of getting into hft then do it you wont regret it. I admit I was bit sure about it until I joined a club a couple of years ago.  Second if hft is on the cards go 177 as it is easier out at longer ranges and seems to be the hft norm.  Third if you really are intrestedbin hft ho goldstar I have bit used a r10 but have had a goldstar a few months, the ability to adjust and fit the stock to you and your style will really help you out.  Also you can still hunt with it as well.

GnarlyDingo

• BSAOG Recruit
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:10:30 PM »

Hi manor2025

Thanks for the reply, i am deffo interested in HFT and i was originally sold on the Goldstar se but like i said, i havent seen many reviews on them and don't know anyone who owns one.
i want to get a multishot for the range but am i right in saying the HFT has to be single shot?

Can anyone else +1 for the Goldstar?
does anyone have any experience with the R10 se?

XplosiV

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Gloucester
  • Postcode: GL3
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:46:54 PM »

Imo go with an Ultra, maybe a second hand tuned one, just avoid the XL. With a half decent scope you'll still have change for some quality mods / fettling. From what I've read they are a great platform for hunting and HFT, very pointable/agile and half a kilo lighter than the R10 to start with.

manor2025

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: aylesbury
  • Postcode: hp21
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 09:04:30 PM »

Hi there.  In answer yes you will want single shot for hft. However it is easy to buy a single shot loader will cost under £30 that way you have best of both world's in my opinion.  As I said I'm more than happy with my goldstar, if you search around you can probably find a good second hand one them you will have spare cash for a better scope. 

GnarlyDingo

• BSAOG Recruit
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 11:54:09 AM »

Thanks for the info XplosiV, any reason to avoid the XL?

manor2025 Sounds very tempting! and i do think they look stunning! i am going to another shop today to see what they have also, do you guys usually buy online or from your local shop?

As for scopes please excuse me for my novice expertise, its been a while since i upgraded ... i was after one with the pull up turrets rather than the hunter styled ones... the guy in the shop said its not worth the extra money but wouldn't tell me why. Anyone have a better explanation than he had?

Tervueren

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Crawley Down
  • Postcode: RH10 4JG
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »

Agree about the Ultra,  really accurate and light rifle, I've had a couple of Daystate guns and sold them on but the Ultra is going nowhere. Regards where to buy, if you are lucky enough to have a local shop then use them or lose them and you'll probably find they'll try their best to price match anyway. I'm off out shortly and may come back with another Ultra lol just going to try out a R10 out at the same time before I commit.

XplosiV

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Gloucester
  • Postcode: GL3
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 12:49:53 PM »

Unless I'm mistaken the Ultra XL isn't really an Ultra, but more some Gamo Phox or Coyote action in an adjustable stock, so in reality it shares practically nothing with the original Ultra. Plus you'd lose the weight saving.

IMO shoulder as many rifles as you can. Each has a different feel and fit when in the shoulder. For Example I find the Air Arms sporter stocks a touch wide to grip comfortably, but their thumb hole stocks are perfect for my hands.

Weight may be more of an issue if you plan to lug the rifle around fields/farms or the like for hours on end, unless you use a sling and/or trigger sticks. If you plan to shoot from a bench most of the time, then weight may not be such an issue, but keep it in mind all the same.

As for scopes and turrets, either capped turrets or pull up turrets, will have the advantage that you are less likely to inadvertently adjust them. Keep in mind, advice from shops will be for the benefit of their till & takings, and not so much your own.

The R10 is a perfectly capable rifle, but not without it's flaws, same could likely be said about any BSA if you want to be honest about it. Common issues would be the regulators, hammer bounce, indexing on the older metal mags, newer plastic mags are fine as long as the pellets are seated properly upon loading, pellet probes are nickel plated, thus plating flakes off and becomes an issue, stainless steel probes are now available to overcome this issue.

Really you need to find out what you like/need in terms of balance, weight, pointability, (think clay pigeon shooting and tracking) a shorter, lighter rifle will be a bit quicker to get on target. Along with what other accessories you may or may not need soon after your purchase. (Trigger sticks, laser range finder, case/slip, bipod, scope, etc.

GnarlyDingo

• BSAOG Recruit
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 03:16:13 PM »

Thank you all for the helpful advice! i think its going to have to be a case of drawing it out of a hat!
Tervueren did you managed to try out an R10?

Tervueren

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Crawley Down
  • Postcode: RH10 4JG
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »

Yes, I would have bought it there and then but unfortunately they only had a .22 in stock with the laminated stock but I'll be a new R10 owner as soon as I find the right one, would like to get the Firefly edition but there only available from wigan so would need it sent to a local RFD which adds to the already high price. Pretty useless regulation if you ask me, they can't send you a new rifle but can send a repaired one back to you ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up