BSA Owners Group

• December 15, 2018, 08:21:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This forum usability  (Read 35 times)

makemyday

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Liverpool
  • Postcode: L10 4XF
  • Go ahead, make my day punk
This forum usability
« on: October 30, 2018, 07:36:55 PM »

I find this forum extremely difficult to use its just not user friendly at all. Making a post is a nightmare with not two but three step verification. The captcha code is totally illegible in my browser. The readback facility is hit and miss and I end up having to open a media player to hear and play it back. Even then the accent is hard to understand and I still get some letters wrong.

I am a computer programmer and have also created many websites and administered my own IT forums in the past. I am all for security but I really think you are over doing it. I find it easier and much quicker to log onto my bank website and send them a message. As for every post being moderated is that really necessary it just slows down chat and stops people posting.

As for the colour scheme that's circa 1984 and again difficult to read.

Just my honest opinion I hope I haven't upset anyone but I think it is fair criticism and it is costing you users and potential revenue.

Ranger22

• BSAOG Global Moderator
  • Postal Town: Campbeltown
  • Postcode: PA28
  • Campbeltown, PA28
Re: This forum usability
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 07:47:09 PM »

You can change the colour scheme. Moderation only lasts for thirty posts. You haven’t upset anyone, we are all allowed an opinion.
Bsa Scorpion T10 MTC Viper 6-24x56
Remy 700 SPS Stainless Synthetic 243,Ase utra S5 mod, Jewell trigger,Hawke 6-24x44
Remy 700 SPS Stainless Synthetic 270,T8 mod S&B 3-12x50
Brno22, parkerhale mod, nikko sterling 6x40

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
  • Postal Town: Runcorn, via Africa and parts unknown.
  • Postcode: WA7
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 07:51:35 PM »

I agree, the first 30 posts are a PITA, and it's something we've all been through. On the plus side, it's well worth the wait if you're serious about BSA airguns .... honestly!   :wink:
Les

RANCiDTOM

• Registered Firearms Dealer
  • BSAOG Technical Officer
  • Postal Town: MANCHESTER (not Swindon)
  • Postcode: SN2
  • Not scared to speak the truth!
    • www.airgunclinic.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:32:39 PM »

The reasons behind our 30 post approval system are so that we (the moderation team) can assess to some extent whether a new member may be a scammer or may wish to post unsuitable material. Believe me we have seen (possibly?) it all.
Now as regards colour schemes and fonts etc you can choose your favourite from a bunch of them in the menus, we have tried to cater for low and high res monitors and people who may have sight difficulties.
As regards "revenue" this site doesn't make any money. It costs the site owner to host it, we don't have sponsors or fly advertising banners and we are not linked in any way to BSA Guns apart from being enthusiasts. Hence we can be totally independent and don't have to "toe the line" from sponsors, advertisers etc.
If you are keen on your BSA's and other guns keep posting, it will be worth it in the end as you can then access the sales and technical parts of the site that new members can't see.
My postcode isn't SN2 it's M21!
GMP Registered Firearms Dealer
Gunsmith for AirGunClinic
http://www.airgunclinic.co.uk  back up and running...
Pages: [1]   Go Up