BSA Owners Group

• November 17, 2018, 01:27:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BSA Reliability and maintenance  (Read 125 times)

makemyday

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
  • Postal Town: Liverpool
  • Postcode: L10 4XF
  • Go ahead, make my day punk
BSA Reliability and maintenance
« on: November 04, 2018, 06:43:09 PM »

I am looking to move to a farm/small holding somewhere in Europe in the new year. Not permanently at first probably spend the winter working back in blighty. But somewhere cheap probably Bulgaria, Hungary or Portugal. Anyway I have now bought the rifle I wanted to take with me. A new model BSA Ultra SE which I think will get a lot of use. So I am wondering just how reliable are these rifles?

I will be living in rural area with I imagine not very good communications, postal service nor a local gunsmith. Not to mention the language barrier, in the beginning anyway. So I am needing some good links to docs or vids on how to maintain and repair the rifle myself. The only previous experience I have is in the infantry stripping rifles blind folded and the like lol. That was a long time ago :( Bear in mind that these days I cant even change my trousers in the dark without falling over

I also would like to know what parts are actually perishable as I think it would be a good idea to take a supply of these parts. I am thinking O-rings but should I consider anything else that is likely to cause problems or even fail?

Also what else may come in useful I am thinking spare parts for the hill pump also tools and other products.

Thanks in advance

rkr

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
  • Postal Town: Finland
  • Postcode: 33950
Re: BSA Reliability and maintenance
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 07:11:57 AM »

All O-rings, firing valve may start leaking somewhere down it's life, pellet probe may start flaking.
Huub Viking Mk2 Bullpup.177/.22 - grab'n go gun
BSA Scorpion .25 - 100M BR at 60 fpe
BSA Horpion .224 - 100M BR at 100 fpe
Evanix Blizzard .357 Bullpup - 220 fpe silhouette shooter
Evanix Sniper X2 .45 - 270 fpe silhouette smacker

makemyday

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 03:25:46 PM »

All O-rings, firing valve may start leaking somewhere down it's life, pellet probe may start flaking.
Thanks for the advice RKR I will investigate them problems and remedies further mate. I have already ordered spare o-ring sets

rkr

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
  • Postal Town: Finland
  • Postcode: 33950
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 06:25:25 AM »

Thanks for the advice RKR I will investigate them problems and remedies further mate. I have already ordered spare o-ring sets

I had a leak in one of my firing valves after 5 years of use so you'll get plenty of use for your gun. It's also easy to fix the existing valve but spares are not too expensive either. Pellet probe flaking depends on luck, there's a bad batch of nickel plated probes out there.

makemyday

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »

I had a leak in one of my firing valves after 5 years of use so you'll get plenty of use for your gun. It's also easy to fix the existing valve but spares are not too expensive either. Pellet probe flaking depends on luck, there's a bad batch of nickel plated probes out there.
Thanks your advice is greatly appreciated
It may be worth me buying a spare pellet probe for the sake of £20
As for the valve I will have to look into that an see exactly what is required
 :c017:

RANCiDTOM

• Registered Firearms Dealer
  • BSAOG Technical Officer
  • Postal Town: MANCHESTER (not Swindon)
  • Postcode: SN2
  • Not scared to speak the truth!
    • www.airgunclinic.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 08:44:30 PM »

You can buy all the BSA pellet probes you like, the nickel plate will always wear through on the detent ball and start flaking.
I manufacture stainless pellet probes with no plating to eliminate this problem, but because I only make small batches the price is a little higher than BSA's piece of "art" that's not fit for purpose.
I will sell direct or you can buy from Darrin at XTX Air if you like:
https://www.xtxair.com/bsa-ultra-se-scorpion-se/bsa-stainless-steel-pellet-probe
He has produced a fitting video guide but if you feel it's beyond you or you don't have a torque screwdriver you can arrange to send the gun to me for a service/tune and as part of the tune I can fit one for you.
The BSA nickel plate isn't just one bad batch, it's a design problem, the nickel will wear or flake as the detent ball wears a track into it. It's just a matter of time before your hammer tube, pellet probe guide bearing and barrel fill with "glitter", but as nickel is harder than both mild steel and aluminium it will cause wear problems in the rest of the gun.
One of BSA's many design and manufacture errors.
£30 each + P&P from either me or Darrin, I will sell a little cheaper if fitting as part of a tune.
My postcode isn't SN2 it's M21!
GMP Registered Firearms Dealer
Gunsmith for AirGunClinic
http://www.airgunclinic.co.uk  back up and running...

makemyday

• BSAOG Basic Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 06:49:48 AM »

You can buy all the BSA pellet probes you like, the nickel plate will always wear through on the detent ball and start flaking.
I manufacture stainless pellet probes with no plating to eliminate this problem, but because I only make small batches the price is a little higher than BSA's piece of "art" that's not fit for purpose.
I will sell direct or you can buy from Darrin at XTX Air if you like:
https://www.xtxair.com/bsa-ultra-se-scorpion-se/bsa-stainless-steel-pellet-probe
He has produced a fitting video guide but if you feel it's beyond you or you don't have a torque screwdriver you can arrange to send the gun to me for a service/tune and as part of the tune I can fit one for you.
The BSA nickel plate isn't just one bad batch, it's a design problem, the nickel will wear or flake as the detent ball wears a track into it. It's just a matter of time before your hammer tube, pellet probe guide bearing and barrel fill with "glitter", but as nickel is harder than both mild steel and aluminium it will cause wear problems in the rest of the gun.
One of BSA's many design and manufacture errors.
£30 each + P&P from either me or Darrin, I will sell a little cheaper if fitting as part of a tune.
Thanks Tom pm'd you mate I think its gone through but not in my Sent folder :(
I am thinking of getting a tune/regulator after xmas. That's certainly something I would be interested in you doing.
Anyway I am off to bed been working all night catch up later. Cheers Tony
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 07:03:27 AM by makemyday »
Pages: [1]   Go Up