BSA Owners Group

• May 20, 2019, 12:48:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morning from North Shropshire  (Read 42 times)

Rockhamster

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: Shrewsbury
  • Postcode: SY4
Morning from North Shropshire
« on: May 11, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »

:sign0144:

Morning. It would seem that I'm already a member on this Forum but it's been so long since my last visit even I had forgot  :hee20hee20hee:

So I'm back, why? I have a rare Ultra. It's rare because it is not modified in any way, no super tune, no regulator or barrel shroud, no larger air cylinder and it's a single shot. Sporting a 'tactical' stock (black) and topped with a cheap Chinese scope and a basic bipod completes my introduction to the World of PCP's.

In my defense it was cheap, very cheap considering it came with a moderator and gun slip. How cheap? put it this way, you would be pushed to buy a basic springer for the price I paid so I had it. Who wouldn't?

I was shown how to shoot with 'real' guns, handguns and shotguns, so have always looked at air guns being little more than toys. However my attitude in this department is changed so no hate please. Moving to a rural community and with all that entails the idea of a air rifle (to deal with rats because we kept chickens) was muted and appealed. At this point I had not shot for a very long time but purchased a  second hand springer and found out just how much I missed it!

At some point I discovered a work colleague was also into shooting but had lost interest. His Ultra was up for sale and did I want it? I was not looking to get a PCP any time soon but, like I said it was cheap. the rest is history......

I enjoy the way it shoots but I don't love it like I should. It doesn't seem to care what I feed it despite what you read elsewhere. Yes the shot count is low (about 40 in .22) when I go to the range and I'm not that happy with the trigger.It's far from bad but still needs adjustment I think. It could also do with some TLC. Its not beat up in anyway but I've never cleaned the barrel since I've owned it. Hard to say how many shots I have taken but its got to be a couple of thousand or so. It is painfully accurate and easy to handle.

So that's the back story to my introduction to BSA ownership. I want and need to love my Ultra. It starts with that trigger.

:c017:

Rob - Standard Ultra owner.

'The Devil went down to Georgia but didn't stick around'

Allan-N

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: Cwmbran
  • Postcode: NP441NS
Re: Morning from North Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 09:11:42 PM »

Hi there 👍

vangard

• BSAOG Rifleman
  • Postal Town: South Cambs
  • Postcode: SG8
  • I work to live not live to work
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 10:13:44 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum mate. If your ultra is shooting spot on don't bother cleaning the barrel.
I have not cleaned mine in 2 years and it dont miss a beat. I only clean it when the grouping opens up.
The trigger's are easy to set up and once done can be very good. Having said that I fitted a Rowan trigger to mine and it made a lot of difference.
The thing with the ultra is it can be so easy modified that customization become a little addictive.
Good luck with your Ultra and enjoy it.
BSA Ultra MMC .22 Lots of brass
Gem.177 / FWB 300S .177
HW100KT .22. HW 97 KT .22
BSA Hornet .22
BSA Meteor MK1 .177

Rockhamster

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: Shrewsbury
  • Postcode: SY4
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 11:22:56 PM »

Thank you for the welcome.

Gave it a proper look over today, the first real go since I've had it. The barrel is showing no signs of crud or nastiness so I will leave well alone. I also think I've finally sorted the trigger. The second stage screw had nothing to butt up to, pin missing!, so after I fabricated a replacement I had another go and now the trigger seems so much better. Will shoot it tomorrow before I make my final verdict. Happy at the moment.

:bunnydance:

• BSAOG Snr Marksman
  • Postal Town: Runcorn, via Africa and parts unknown.
  • Postcode: WA7
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 04:34:22 PM »

Hello .... welcome to the BSAOG!    :welcome:
Les

Roj D

• BSAOG Recruit
  • Postal Town: PR26AF
  • Postcode: PR26AF
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 05:52:52 PM »

:03: